Friday, February 12, 2010

How was your high school transcript?

what was your high school transcript when you applied for nursing school in college? Did you get accepted if so to what school Please tell me your SAT score, GPA, class rank, extracurricular activities. I really want to go to this nursing school at my dream school, and I want to know if I am academically competitive.How was your high school transcript?
i don't think you can go straight from high school to nursing school. colleges generally require some sort of bridger between the two.


anyway, i graduated 14th out of 560 people in my high school, GPA was around 4.6, 4.7, highest SAT was 1480. took the new one as well, and adding that to the old SAT, it was 2110, i think. i made a 203 on PSATs, volunteered at a nursing home, a daycare center, performed in school musicals, was assistant concertmaster in school orchestra, made all A's my senior year. i was a member of National honor society, key club, and medical club. i took 6 APs during my high school career and entered college with 18 credit hours as a freshman. i worked at two restaurants.... can't think of any more.How was your high school transcript?
My wife has been a nurse (RN) for 6 years. She graduated from one of the top nursing schools in the country (in Texas). She scored well on her SATs (early 1990s version) in reading comprehension, but has always found great difficulty with math. She was a cheerleader in high school, was in several drama productions, and volunteered at a nursing home. At this point in the nursing career field, if you have worked hard in high school and have at least a 3.5 GPA, everything else is just whitewash ... you will get in to nursing school. There is a serious shortage of RNs in the US right now, and a shortage of students in nursing programs nationwide. Put your application together and have faith that your desire to serve others will be rewarded.





A word of caution ... nursing is a very challenging and often unsung profession. You work long hours, in stressful environments, and make good money ... but I would argue not the amount that nurses should. The rewards are few and far between, mostly the satisfaction of being one of the few who makes a difference for others.





Find a school that has a good reputation for its core curriculum courses. Typically, you will complete 3 years of undergraduate work before even starting nursing school, and nursing school for someone pursuing a BSN takes 2 years. It is hard. Very hard. The workload is difficult, and the pressure is intense. Nursing school is one of the reasons there is a shortage of nurses in the country right now. My wife was a mess all the way through nursing school, much like I was as I went through my graduate degree. I'm glad you want to be a nurse, I wish more young people did. Prepare yourself mentally for the challenge facing you when you get accepted to a program. I wish you luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment